Good idea?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:35 pm

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes : 3

Postby nhummel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:53 am

Although it seems to me the BEST solution would be to find a solution for the badges that would work for that purpose.

Considering that Chemistry is using the badge that is used for undergrads to link to their own grad admissions page rather than grad studies.

Ned
Ned W. Hummel
Department of Mathematics
nhummel

Postby Erin Paseka » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:10 pm

...how about just an Undergrad portal (already existing at Admissions) and a Graduate portal for all of those specific programs?

Grad Studies *is* the graduate portal, so no need for an extra portal page. The grad badge would just go directly to our online application: http://gradapp.unl.edu . (Applicants to any UNL grad program must complete our Application for Graduate Admission. Some departments also have their own supplemental app forms.)

I think a plain text link would be fine for that area. I have a sense that the rule against images up there is pretty firm so as to prevent things like this...

I completely agree that we need standards for what can go where. I'm just thinking there's room to open this up a little without totally losing uniformity. Maybe we'd have the choice of using that space for (A) nothing; (B) a list of college-level links, as it was initially conceived; or (C) a single graphical object subject to a set of rules with regard to its dimensions, fonts, whether animation is allowed, etc. Yes, there's a "foot in the door" risk, but this is why we have QA.
Erin Paseka

Postby Erin Paseka » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:15 pm

Yes, I think "something like that" is what Ned was planning to do for me a dozen posts ago. If you'll try a version where "GRAD SCHOOL" is a little bigger (our grad students' eyes aren't as young as undergrads'!) and the background is neither red nor dark grey, I'll call it progress!

Erin Paseka

Postby Erin Paseka » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:01 am

Yeah, the tangent got me a little cranky. Sorry.

The badge could turn out to be a "fine" solution, but so far I'd say it's more like "potentially tolerable." I still have unresolved reservations about it, which is why I've also been pursuing the "why can't this stay where it is" angle at the same time.

Looking forward to some more badge samples...
Erin Paseka

Postby nhummel » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:54 am

Here's my attempt at things.

Ned
Ned W. Hummel
Department of Mathematics
nhummel

Postby Erin Paseka » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:19 pm

Thanks for the samples, guys!

I agree that any new badge shouldn't stray much from our existing sitewide color palette. Since we're already using gold as an accent color in the secure badge and zenbox styles, I made my sample gold, but duller than the secure badge.

But I don't agree at all about the red badge being very visible. Red *is* a very prominent color... when it's on a background that's not virtually the same color. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this; I don't know. I started a poll in a new thread and I'm hoping we can find out what others think.
Erin Paseka

Previous

Return to Suggestion Box