Difficulty in loading and refreshing with template system

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

Difficulty in loading and refreshing with template system

Postby cfielder2 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:08 pm

Since converting to the template system, we are experiencing some troublesome things with our site either loading or refreshing. Sometimes when we navigate to a secondary page on our site then use the breadcrumbs to go back a level the center content is blank for several seconds (10 or more).

Also some pages come up with the footer section expanded in height several inches and covering the left navigation and all other elements of the page. Again after several seconds it self corrects, but not before the user thinks something is wrong.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Our site is http://www.unl.edu/careers
cfielder2

Postby saltybeagle » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:17 am

hmm...

I guess I have a few questions before I can make any real guesses:

What browser and version(s) does this happen in?
Which specific pages are the problems occurring on?
Is the Internet connection an issue (dial-up etc)?
Is resolution an issue (800x600 or 1024x768 etc)?

With the footer section's height, the issue is usually not enough content on the page. I think I've seen this issue before, but it doesn't come up very often --- most people have more content in the middle than left navigation.

If there are specific pages we can look at for an example we might be able to fix something in the stylesheet.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby cfielder2 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:39 pm

It seems only to happen when we try to go back to our main page. After to playing around with it a while, I realized two things:

1. It's not just the breadcrumbs, but also the back button.

2. Our center content is not missing, it is just shoved way down where you have to scroll several inches to see it, then is self corrects and brings the content back up to the top after 10-12 seconds.

We use Explorer 6.0 in our office and it seems to be happening despite screen resolution.

My husband just tested in using a Mac with Safari and Explorer and could not replicate the problem.

I'm stumped, but assume it is somewhat browser specific and may be an issue with using an elaborate table on our main page.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
cfielder2

Postby saltybeagle » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:56 pm

I'm stumped, but assume it is somewhat browser specific and may be an issue with using an elaborate table on our main page.

I think you're right...
The table isn't that complex, but my guess is that this is the culprit:

Code: Select all
<table width="101%"  border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

The width 101% is telling the table to be wider than its container. Because it is too wide, it can't render next to the left navigation and jumps below where there's more space.

Changing that to 100% should fix the problem.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby cfielder2 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:48 am

Great eye! Just a simple typo in the code. I really appreciate your help with this and the other issues I have posted in the past.

Christina
cfielder2

Return to Help & Assistance