Display Problems

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

Display Problems

Postby soni » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:06 am

Another work in progress. http://lancaster.unl.edu/hort/AcreageClinics.shtml

The Web page looks fine when my display settings are at 1024x768. (The page also validates - yeah!!!)

However, when I set my monitor for 800x600 everything jumps down. Same thing happens when I open the web page in a smaller window when I have my monitor display settings at 1024x768.

I had this working fine last night - then tinkered with something and messed it up - obviously I screwed something up. Can you help? Thanks!
soni

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:12 pm

Hey Soni,

Nice work on the validation by the way!

The problem is caused by the content within your page wider than ~530 pixels. The templates were built to allow minimum screen sizes of 800x600... and the templates expect to be able to scale down to 800x600 before they will create a horizontal scrollbar. So the content jumps down below the left column where there's more room.

The table within your page is defined as 600 wide... I think if you make it about 538 or so you should be good.

This doesn't mean that your content can't flow to widths larger - that's the idea of a liquid layout. So you might be able to take the width off of the table entirely, as long as the table flows down to a width of around 530px.

If you need content wider than that, we can alter your pages to make them 1024x768. I think in the next iteration of the templates we're going to target a minimum resolution of 1024x768 instead of 800x600... but that's where we're at now. hope that fixes your problem.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby soni » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:32 pm

Thanks Brett!

I messed around with the tables and took out the width. Should clean things up a bit.

The biggest help was when you mentioned the width I needed to stay within 800x600. It dawned on me that I had just replaced my banner graphic with a larger image...it was too wide. Replaced it and bam!...it works!

I'm sure I'll need more help in the future...I've got plenty of content pages to go!
soni

Return to Help & Assistance