Statistics

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

Statistics

Postby dsockrider » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:37 pm

I'm wanting to get accurate statistics for http://www.nuengr.unl.edu/. It appears in the past that we've had a service for stats that costs us $19.95 a month. I checked those stats today and they are very inaccurate.

I know there are free stat counters out there that are just as good or better than this pay service.

What stat counter does the UNL Web Dev group recommend and what should I do about getting a new stat counter installed?

I noticed unl.edu uses AWStats, I use Webalizer on several personal sites.

Thanks,
David
dsockrider

Postby saltybeagle » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:01 am

I'd recommend AWStats... free and it has very nice output. One of the drawbacks is that it uses Perl, and thus is slower than some others, but I run through www.unl.edu log files with 9 passes nightly and it seems to handle it alright... (of course this is dependent on the processing power of the machine that crunches the numbers).

I've used webalizer in the past, but it seems to have fallen behind in development (2002 was the last update?).

Analog is OK if you need the faster processing that a compiled analyzer will give, but I don't really like the way the output looks.

There was a pay-for standalone app I used at Telecom a few years ago that had nice output, but I've forgotten the name - Patrick Sullivan may know what it is.

I'd contact your server admin and have them get a stats package installed for you on your webserver. If they aren't willing to do that then you should at least be given access to the log files... then I'd set up a scheduled job that downloads the files to another machine and runs the statistics.
But, if you or whomever needs help setting up AWStats I'd be glad to help.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Return to Help & Assistance