nav links not displaying

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

nav links not displaying

Postby Sarah Browning » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:59 am

I'm working on my first page using the new templates, the site is http://extensionhorticulture.unl.edu. My problem is that the navlinks, leftcollinks and footercontent are not displaying at all. Can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
Sarah Browning

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:50 am

Hey Sarah,

It looks like the templates are looking for your sharedcode files in the wrong place. Without being able to see the un-processed source of your page, I'm making some guesses here but...

When you set up the templates, did you complete the step (#4 in the pdf) that replaces '/cssunltemplates/' with '/' ?

My guess is that is the problem. I would close all open files in Dreamweaver and run a Search and Replace within the Source Code of the Entire Current Local Site for '/cssunltemplates/' and replace it with '/' (no quotes).

This will configure the templates for use on a Virtual Host like you're using.

If that doesn't work, then if you could post a snippet of the Template source code with some of the <!--#include virtual=" statements, that would be helpful.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby Sarah » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:42 pm

Brett,
I did go through step 4 originally, but I must not be pointing to the right directory. My site's local root folder is Y:\My Documents\EHort\

<!--#include virtual="my documents/sharedcode/relatedLinks.html" -->
<!--#include virtual="/unlpub/templatedependents/templatesharedcode/includes/sidefooter/sidefooter.shtml" -->

Thanks for your help.
Sarah

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:03 pm

Step # 4 is the most complicated part of the entire process... it is desperately in need of some refinement.

From what you've sent, it looks like you can replace
'my documents/sharedcode/'
with
'/sharedcode/'

You could just replace 'my documents' with '' (nothing), but I'm adding in some extra code to prevent replacing that string of text anywhere else it may be on your site.
Carefully note the slashes, and if all goes well - after the Search and Replace that example include should read
Code: Select all
<!--#include virtual="/sharedcode/relatedLinks.html" -->

Which will reference the file http://extensionhorticulture.unl.edu/sh ... Links.html

I hope that makes sense.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:36 pm

Sarah,

I thought of one more thing... the files need to be saved with a .shtml extension to tell the server to process the include directives.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Return to Help & Assistance