Design Time view

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

Design Time view

Postby mmesarch1 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:47 pm

With the older UNL templates we could see what our page looked like as we were designing it by adding the template to the Design Time view in Dreamweaver. I tried that with the new fixed template and still only see the "messy" view. How do I get the more realistic design time view?
Thanks
mmesarch1

Postby saltybeagle » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:58 pm

We've coded the templates to support the design time view in Dreamweaver 8.

If you have a site configured within Dreamweaver you should just have to place the ucomm/templatedependents/ directory along-side your files and the design view should work without adding Design Time Stylesheets etc.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Files along side

Postby mmesarch1 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:17 am

HI,
So does that mean I am suppose to download the files in that are being pushed/pulled to our server too in the dependents files? If these files are periodically updated during the push/pull how will my local files be updated? I know I am sounding pretty simple minded here, but when you saw right along side of the site does that mean I should have a folder in my local directory that is ucomm?
Thanks
Mark
mmesarch1

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:03 am

Yes, having a ucomm/templatedependents directory locally will help you design your site within Dreamweaver 8.

It isn't *THAT* important that the files you use to view your pages in design view are updated... having a snapshot will get you by. Of course if you want to always have the latest then you can simply set up a scheduled update from the ftp site, see: http://ucommdev.unl.edu/webdev/wiki/ind ... late_Files

I would say it is only required to have your live copy of the templatedependents updated.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Problems w/ Design Time View

Postby kabel2 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:13 pm

I have my site configured within Dreamweaver and placed the ucomm/templatedependents/ directories along-side of my local files, but the design time view doesn't work. I don't know if there is something wrong with my site setup that would prevent the design time from working.

Please let me know if there is something else I need to do to help get this feature working. Thanks.

My site is running from the cse.unl.edu server and I am using Dreamweaver 8.
kabel2

Design Time View

Postby mmesarch1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:35 am

Hi,
I have already created on site with the new templates and had the design time view work fine. I copied over a second site that was made with the old templates. Cleaned out the Templates folder. Added the new templates. Added the ucomm folder. But the design time view does not seem to be working properly.

I think tried to create a site from scratch and then it seemed to be working fine.

I even copied those folders in the one that does not work and it still does not work.

Any thoughts?
mmesarch1

Postby saltybeagle » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:20 am

There are two important things for Dreamweaver 8's design time view to render with the stylesheets:

1. Site Definition must have the correct HTTP Address
    2. /ucomm/templatedependents/ must be in the correct place

Sample Dreamweaver Site Configurations and templatedependents locations:

If you still can't get it to work, post the HTTP address of your site and the location of your files on your machine (C:\Sites\mysite\ for example), a screenshot of Dreamweaver's [Advanced] Site Configuration window should be enough.
Last edited by saltybeagle on Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

example sites are not working.

Postby mmesarch1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:01 pm

The two urls you gave above are not working. I checked them at 1:00 pm and at 3:00pm on 8/17/2006 and neither is working.
mmesarch1

Postby saltybeagle » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:05 pm

The two examples I gave are sample dreamweaver site configurations, and templatedependents locations.... don't take them literally.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby kabel2 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:00 pm

If you still can't get it to work, post the HTTP address of your site and the location of your files on your machine (C:\Sites\mysite\ for example), a screenshot of Dreamweaver's [Advanced] Site Configuration window should be enough.

I don't know why I'm having problems with this. Here is my current configuration. I've put the ucomm directory in many various places around the local location, but nothing has worked thus far. Please let me know what I need to do to get things rolling.

HTTP Address: http://cse.unl.edu/~kabel/cseDayTest/

Local Location: C:\Documents and Settings\KAbel\My Documents\UNL\cseDay_new

Site Config:

Let me know if you need anything else.
kabel2

my guess

Postby mmesarch1 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi,
I finally got mine to work. My guess from your situation is that your ucomm subdirectory needs to be in the ~kabel folder to work properly in Dreamweaver.

I am not totally sure if that is correct for the live website, but my guess is that it is.

My guess of the pattern is that if you multiple layer deep websites and sub webs that a ucomm folder needs to always located one layer less deep than a subweb.
mmesarch1

Re: my guess

Postby kabel2 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:28 pm

My guess from your situation is that your ucomm subdirectory needs to be in the ~kabel folder to work properly in Dreamweaver.

Sorry, with the ucomm folder currently in C:\Documents and Settings\KAbel\My Documents\UNL\cseDay_new\~kabel\ it is still not working.

UPDATE (9/1): Don't know what prompted this, however I moved the ucomm folder to C:\Documents and Settings\KAbel\My Documents\ and now all is well.
kabel2

Return to Help & Assistance