why does it look crummy in IE, but OK in firefox?

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

why does it look crummy in IE, but OK in firefox?

Postby lsilberman » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:53 pm

I lifted code from the UNL homepage to include the red N on the top of the standard template. It looks fine in Mozilla, but crummy in IE.

http://entomology.unl.edu/test2.htm

I'm on the IANR server, if that's a factor.

Also, why is the UNL logo cut off in the footer of the document template?

Thanks!
lsilberman

Postby lsilberman » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:22 pm

So we've been given templates with a logo whose transparency doesn't work in the major browser out there?

Huh??????
lsilberman

Postby saltybeagle » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Ok folks.

First problem.
I lifted code from the UNL homepage

Within the source of every UNL Template page there is a statement:
The code seen in a source code view is not, and may not be used as, a template. You may not use this code, a reverse-engineered version of this code, or its associated visual presentation in whole or in part to create a derivative work.

If you are using the templates correctly, you should not need to 'lift' any code.

The UNL Template set is built using two types of included files.

1. The 'templatedependents' which are controlled by the Web Developer Network (the people who run this website).
2. Your 'sharedcode' files which are common across all of your pages (navigation, footer etc).

Because the templates are built using these separate files... the server needs to process them to include the necessary files. Your web files need to be named .shtml, .php, or .asp, .aspx etc.

One of those important includes is the one that fixes png images in IE (a 'nifty' javascript snr-invasive refers to). This is why it doesn't work on your page http://entomology.unl.edu/test2.htm

The IANR server hasn't included that file because of the incorrect file extension.

You need to change the file extension to .shtml, and remove any lifted code to restore the templates back to what is distributed ---- and your pages should work.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby lsilberman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:24 pm

My apologies too!

I guess I was too eager to make it work. It's working now.

Thanks!
lsilberman

Return to Help & Assistance