Sub navigation plea

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

Sub navigation plea

Postby mmesarch1 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:06 am

HI,
I know at the last web developers meeting that was much discussion on the limit of showing 5 sub navigations sections before the "More..." was invoked, but I would like to show an example where this needs to be reconsidered. Sometimes there are needs to allow more sub navigation levels without the "More..." being invoked.

If you go to the website http://snr.unl.edu/cbas (I know its the old templates) and hover over Research Specialities You will see that we have 10 specialities. If we use the NEW template 5 of these where be hidden from view until the user presses "More..." My faculty do not think this is acceptable.

With the current design you are asking the planners/designers to choose which are the 5 most important specialities leaving the other 5 partially invisible. This can also be said for departments that list their degrees as a sub navigation; which degrees do they determine as "Second class"?

In most cases we have been able to come to an understanding that alphabetical is acceptable for organization. But limited to 5 sub navigation levels makes this organization biased.

I propose that there be a switch on the template that will allow for the "More..." to be turned off completely in certain cases. Make it standard that it has to turned off, so it is extra work, but at least make it an option.

There are just some cases where five is not enough.

mark
mmesarch1

Postby alvin_woon » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:09 am

In certain cases where hiding >5 or rearranging the navigation list alphabetically is not possible, i would recommend creating a link in the navigation that goes to a new page which displays all the available links. For example, in your case, a new front page with the title 'Research Specialities' that displays those 10 specialities links seems fitting.

In my opinion, making the hide function optional will encourage template users to disabled it. That defeats the purpose of trying to be consistent on all UNL template pages, not to mention having a hard time trying to guide/explain to the users about the navigation system.

But of course, that's just me.
alvin_woon
Site Admin

Good idea but hope fo the positive

Postby mmesarch1 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:34 am

Hi,
Actually that was the plan to actually add the Specialities page with all the specialities listed and the subsequent links. But that does not solve the problem of displaying a partial list at first. To remove the display some initially and not the others we would remove the entire subnavigation list and totally loss any visibility of the list. Thus requiring a second click to get to the list.

I do not think it will encourage people. I think that there are valid examples of where this navigation needs to be tweaked.
mmesarch1

Return to Help & Assistance