phpbb question

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

phpbb question

Postby wagler » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:00 am

Is it possible to create a phpbb on the UNL servers? If so what would I need to do besides follow the instructions on http://www.phpbb.com?

thanks!
adam
wagler

Postby alvin_woon » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:26 am

i dont think it's possible to host a php forum under frontier. It doesnt have php nor mysql.
alvin_woon
Site Admin

Postby wagler » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:59 am

that's what I thought.... are there any alternatives or do we just need to set up our own server to host something like a phpbb?
adam
wagler

Postby wagler » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:27 pm

I was just looking for some kind of forum that I could use for our site. I say phpBB because I like the look of it... I guess I am indifferent about what kind it is as long as it is easy to use and functional. I looked at Blackboard's disccusion board and do not like it at all. Any suggestions would be great and I will contact Mary Lohse to see what they have.

Thanks!
adam
wagler

Purpose of Discussion Board?

Postby rcrisler1 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:45 pm

What's the purpose of the board? If it's classroom, there is an open source alternative to Blackboard that IS has been testing, called Sakai.

Otherwise, as Alvin has it above, php and MySQL are required to run phpBB. We have a server (obviously enough) capable of doing that, but there are some issues with maintenance with phpBB. Not much, mind you, but some.
____

Robert J Crisler
Manager, Internet and Interactive Media
University Communications
321 Canfield Administration Building
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
402-472-9878
rcrisler1
Site Admin

Postby wagler » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:18 am

I wanted to make a public board for the college, a way of making anouncements, internships, jobs, competitions, events, etc... we do list serves now but each semester we update them and even then we don't have everyone on there.

The other day we were ask to send out an email to just the freshman and we don't have a list for that so it just seemed like if we could put up a board where students can go for information on the list above and faculty and staff could post events themselves.

I saw Blackboad has a discussion board but it just doesn't look very inviting and you would have to login just to read it.

Any thoughts? I am still not sure if this is what we are going to do but I wanted to check and make sure I could do it before I said anything to faculty and staff...

Thanks!!!
adam
wagler

Postby soni » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:46 am

We've been considering the same type of public and/or private forum.

I explored the Blackboard discussion board, and agree - it is not very appealing to the general user (the public).

I'm also interested in discussion/suggestions on resources available for us to add a forum to Web sites. Thanks!
soni

Return to Help & Assistance