Templates on another server: IE layout issues

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

Templates on another server: IE layout issues

Postby Erin Paseka » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:47 am

I'm trying to get the templates to work on another server, the one Research & Grad Studies uses for PHP and such. Jill put the templatedependents file on the server, I uploaded a test template page, and it looked great in Firefox. So simple and easy.

But then I looked at the page in IE and found layout problems. The "Business, Industry & Government" header link wraps onto a second line, which throws the header out of alignment. The shelf tab gets bumped below the breadcrumbs. The line along the right side of the navigation is missing. Etc.

http://researchweb2.unl.edu/gradstudies/fixed.php

What would cause that? Are we missing a shared file?

Erin
Erin Paseka

Postby alvin_woon » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:35 pm

the header is kinda messed up. IE condition statement should be within the html tag, not right on top.
alvin_woon
Site Admin

Postby nhummel » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:08 pm

the header is kinda messed up. IE condition statement should be within the html tag, not right on top.

You can view the source on
http://euler.unl.edu

And see what Alvin is talking about.
Ned W. Hummel
Department of Mathematics
nhummel

Postby Erin Paseka » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:41 pm

I see exactly what you mean but I haven't been able to fix it because I have no idea how the "browsersniffers/ie.html" content gets up there.

When I open this page in Dreamweaver, there is nothing before the DOCTYPE line, and the include for ie.html is down a few lines. When I upload it and view the source, that "if IE" stuff magically appears above the DOCTYPE.
Erin Paseka

Postby nhummel » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:55 pm

I see exactly what you mean but I haven't been able to fix it because I have no idea how the "browsersniffers/ie.html" content gets up there.

When I open this page in Dreamweaver, there is nothing before the DOCTYPE line, and the include for ie.html is down a few lines. When I upload it and view the source, that "if IE" stuff magically appears above the DOCTYPE.

Looking at the raw php code from my file (which was just me taking the dwt file and editing it in emacs), this is what I have at the start of the file:

Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en" ><!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/php.unlstandardtemplate.dwt.php" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<title>UNL / Mathematics</title>
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
<!-- Codebase:UNLFramework 20060814 -->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="/ucomm/templatedependents/templatecss/layouts/main.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="/ucomm/templatedependents/templatecss/layouts/print.css"/>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/ucomm/templatedependents/templatesharedcode/scripts/all_compressed.js"></script>

<?php virtual('/ucomm/templatedependents/templatesharedcode/includes/browsersniffers/ie.html'); ?>
<?php virtual('/ucomm/templatedependents/templatesharedcode/includes/comments/developersnote.html'); ?>
<?php virtual('/ucomm/templatedependents/templatesharedcode/includes/metanfavico/metanfavico.html'); ?>
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" -->
<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" -->
<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
<!-- InstanceParam name="leftRandomPromo" type="boolean" value="true" -->
<!-- InstanceParam name="bodyid" type="text" value="fixed" -->
</head>
<body id="fixed">

Based on what you're saying you have this, but things are getting munged when the page is served, right?

Ned
Ned W. Hummel
Department of Mathematics
nhummel

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:09 pm

This is an interesting issue, Erin. Out of curiosity, I'll ask: is this PHP+Apache running on Windows...?

I would replace your local templates with the latest from the ftp server, then run a Templates>Modify>Update Pages to restore all template source back to original. Then check and see if anything is fixed. If not, and there is nothing in your .php file above the <!DOCTYPE declaration as Ned & Alvin are referring to.... then I would change all the php include statements from virtual to require_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/ucomm/..... or.... upgrade PHP & Apache on the machine... and then report back on this puzzler.

Good luck Erin.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby Erin Paseka » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:37 pm

When I saw that Ned's templates were a few days newer than mine, the first thing I did was update mine, but that didn't seem to affect anything. My code looks just like what Ned pasted, aside from the editable regions. We're running Windows and Apache with PHP 5, if that matters.

Fortunately, switching every virtual(...) to require_once($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']...) did the trick. http://researchweb2.unl.edu/gradstudies ... tached.php

Is there a way I can make the fix without detaching every page from the template? It looked like I could edit the template outside Dreamweaver, but when I open the template in Dreamweaver, my changes aren't there.
Erin Paseka

Postby saltybeagle » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:53 pm

I would open the file php.unlstandardset.php.dwt and the php.fixed.php.dwt file within dreamweaver and change the references there... then save the .dwts and update all the dependent pages.

That should get around any problems.

And remember that you'll have to do this again if/when you have to update the dwts again.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby Erin Paseka » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:52 pm

Aha, those first few virtuals are editable in php.unlstandardset.dwt.php. I'd just been beating my head against the one dwt that I knew I was dealing with, thinking I had to somehow unlock that part of php.fixed.dwt.php.

It all seems to be working now. Thanks, guys!
Erin Paseka

Return to Help & Assistance