Templates for Affiliates

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

Templates for Affiliates

Postby RuthAnn Royer » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:34 pm

I have been looking for the "Affiliate" Templates for a while now, but have not been able to find them - I found the UN-L templates, but have had no luck finding the affiliate ones, can someone please point me to the right directory?

Thanks....

RuthAnn
RuthAnn Royer

Postby alvin_woon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:40 pm

it is still in production.
alvin_woon
Site Admin

template for affiliates

Postby caggens » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks for your work on that.

Any idea when it will be out of production and ready for use?
caggens

Postby saltybeagle » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:47 am

The affiliates template is now included in the standard template distribution as unlaffiliate.dwt. Download the latest UNLTemplates.zip file from ftp://wdn:1869@ucommdev.unl.edu/

There is some documentation on the wiki on how to create your affiliate site: http://ucommdev.unl.edu/webdev/wiki/ind ... e_template

post here if you have any problems.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Affiliate template and dependent files

Postby RuthAnn Royer » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:02 pm

Thanks for the affiliate items. I have spent the day getting them downloaded and installed. I began a new page, to incorporate all the server side items, once they were updated, and although they appeared like they should have in the Dreamweaver file, when I uploaded it to the web to check it out, the server side items do not appear, except for the ones (like the promo box) that I had not yet changed. Is there something I am over looking? To see what is and isn't working the address is:

http://www.unl.edu/amc/amctrial.html

Thanks for any help you can give - It's probably something obvious, but tonight I can't find it.....
RuthAnn
RuthAnn Royer

Postby saltybeagle » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:40 pm

when I uploaded it to the web to check it out, the server side items do not appear,

I think I see the problem.... template files should be saved with a .shtml extension instead of a .html to indicate to the server that those includes need to be processed.

I would rename the file to amctrial.shtml and see if that fixes the problem.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Two Affiliate Template questions

Postby mmesarch1 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:31 pm

Hi,
I followed the instructions to use the Affiliated Templates. Two issues I am having trouble with.

1) Logo placement or size: I created the logo png file based on the size of the file that was included in the zip file. approx 97 x85 pixels. But when it is displayed on the website the image is cut off by the left hand margin. See examples below.

2) While waiting for the Affiliate templates I created my site in the new templates. I tried to apply the new unlaffiliate template to existing pages in the site. I get a message about one editable area not in the affiliate template. I can handle that. But what shows up in Dreamweaver is only the logo changed not the rest of the header. If I start with a brand new template and create a page it is ok. But if I try to apply the new template it does not work properly.

Here are the two examples:
New template on a new page http://snr.unl.edu:9112
New template applied to an existed page that used the fixed format http://snr.unl.edu:9112/meetstateforester.asp

I also tried removing the fixed template and applying the unlaffiliate template. I received a message saying the two areas did not exist this time: document body and document head. I have tried to resolve these to several different content areas, but this does not work. I have not been able to figure out which areas to resolve these too.

I hope that I do not have recreate all my pages into the new templates.
mmesarch1

Affiliates Template and CSS file

Postby mmesarch1 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:48 pm

Talking with Brett and trying to get the affiliates page to work, he had me copy the affiliate.css page from the ucomm folder and place it in the sharedcode folder.

There I was able to change the affiliate.gif and affiliate_red_head.gif location so that it would read my new files.

Then in the unlaffiliate.dwt template I modified the path of the affiliate.css statement to my sharedcode folder.

This made things work.

Is this the correct method we should be using?
If so I can add that to the Wiki.

Thanks.
mmesarch1

Postby RuthAnn Royer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:43 am

Yes, that did it! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

RuthAnn
RuthAnn Royer

Postby saltybeagle » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:38 am

Mark,
Is this the correct method we should be using?
If so I can add that to the Wiki.

I believe so... if you could add the info to the WIKI that would be great!

Thanks
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby saltybeagle » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:34 am

Mark,

I hope that I do not have recreate all my pages into the new templates.

I don't think you will have to... I would back up your site --- just in case --- and then give this a try.

Close all open documents in Dreamweaver. Run a site-wide search and replace for

<!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/fixed.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->

and replace it with

<!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/unlaffiliate.dwt" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->

After this replaces the template references, run Modify>Templates>Update Pages to convert the fixed template pages to unlaffiliate template pages. You may get notices about regions missing between pages.

After all your pages have been upated --- you may need to run 2 search & replace operations: one for the siteheader, and one to add in the affiliate.css.

Run a sitewide search & replace for the siteheader.shtml reference to point to your own affiliate siteheader file.

Then run a sitewide search and replace to add in the affiliate css reference within the head of the documents.

For both replacements you will need to open one of the (previously fixed template) documents to determine the appropriate code to search&replace for - this could be differenct for everyone using the affiliates template.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Template switching for affiliates

Postby RuthAnn Royer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:02 pm

Since I have not been on any templates before, I see no choice but to go in and handle them by hand. There are quirky things on most of the pages. I'll just get the main 60-70 pages updated now, and then work on the rest of them as I have time. The next update should be easier.

Thanks for your help.

RuthAnn
RuthAnn Royer

Postby caggens » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:27 pm

I'm not having success following the affiliate documentation.

I can't figure out where to modify the location of the three image files to reference my own page.

Where is the affiliate.css file? I found a file by that name in the Index of ftp://wdn@ucommdev.unl.edu/ but couldn't download it.

Also, should I modify the information in the affiliate.shtml file that points to the forest service logo? When I change that to reference the new logo, all I see is the alternate text. Does the logo have to be the same size as that was downloaded in the psd template?

www.unl.edu/AIA
caggens

Affiliate Templates

Postby mmesarch1 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:11 pm

HI,
I think I got most of my site switched over to the affiliate templates. The main pages I am still having problems with are the ones that I had to use the liquid and popup templates. I tried replacing liquid template with the affiliated and it cut off my table and did not allow the header file to be replaced. So eventually we will need a liquid affiliate template and probably a pop up.

I also have a question about the logo. Its seems to be a little better now, but I would think that there should be a little space to the left of the logo.
I am still trying to get a better quality image.

Thanks.
mmesarch1

Postby saltybeagle » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:29 pm

caggens:

I can't figure out where to modify the location of the three image files to reference my own page.

Where is the affiliate.css file? I found a file by that name in the Index of ftp://wdn:1869@ucommdev.unl.edu/ but couldn't download it.

I've updated the documentation with a link to the affiliate.css file.

should I modify the information in the affiliate.shtml file that points to the forest service logo? When I change that to reference the new logo, all I see is the alternate text.

Yes, you should modify the location to your own graphic. If all you see is alternate text then I think the image is not on the server, or the path to the image is incorrect.

http://ucommdev.unl.edu/webdev/wiki/ind ... e_template
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Next

Return to Help & Assistance