Local Search Box

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

Local Search Box

Postby mmesarch1 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:22 pm

HI,
At the Nov meeting, I think, we talked about the Local Search. I found the documentation in the wiki and added the code to one of my pages using the templage. http://snr.unl.edu/cbas

Several things. I thought at the meeting it was decided the box would end up just under the word "NAVIGATION" and not at the bottom of the list. This way people can see it immediately and not have to "guess" its at the bottom.

Second. All I see in mine is a text that says "Search this site" and a text box. Should there be more? Like a go button.

Third. I had gotten a Google Key for this site back when we were using the last set of templates. Can I use the same key and send that to Brett or do I need apply for a new key?

Thanks.
mmesarch1

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:43 pm

The same key will work fine for now... but Google has deprecated their SOAP Search API, so there may be changes forthcoming to the custom search pages.

Alvin's test page has the search at the top of the navigation... so there may be some differences in where the search box is placed now. Have you tried including it before the navigation list?

http://yansmac.unl.edu/unl/test1.shtml

Perhaps the documentation needs to be updated.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Local Search

Postby mmesarch1 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:47 pm

HI,
I had the code after the navigation Include and so I moved it to before it and it seems to look better.
I will send you the key.

The link in your response above does not work. At least when I tried.

Thanks.
Mark
mmesarch1

Search on Affiliate Template

Postby mmesarch1 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:40 pm

HI,
Is the Search going to work on the Affiliate templates the same way?
Mark
mmesarch1

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:04 pm

Aha, I haven't considered custom search pages for affiliate template sites.

I'll keep this in mind for future additions, but right now my main concern is moving away from Google's SOAP API service to something else (possibly Yahoo).

Ideally, yes it would work in exactly the same way... but would need to serve a different template and know where your custom css file is located, which may prove challenging.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Return to Help & Assistance