Using the search magnifying glass in the navigation bar

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

Using the search magnifying glass in the navigation bar

Postby Jennifer Snyder » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi!

Thanks for adding the ability to search our websites within the navigation bar...that is really cool! I do have a couple of questions in regards to making the bar the same on every page and in every platform. I have noticed when I am in Firefox on the mac, the bar is shortened so the magnifying glass appears underneath the bar. I have also noticed on safari, the words "search the blah, blah, blah webpage" appears in the field bar as opposed to on top of it. This doesn't happen on all of the pages...it is random if you will. Is anyone else having these issues?

Jennifer Snyder
University Health Center
Jennifer Snyder

Postby saltybeagle » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:10 am

Hey Jennifer,

Ned Hummel has looked into this, and we should have a fix out shortly... you may need to update the search code which goes in your navigation though.

Updating the code is something you can try now: http://www1.unl.edu/wdn/wiki/Local_search_form

I'll post here once the template code is out, and hopefully that will fix everything.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby nhummel » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:43 pm

I have noticed when I am in Firefox on the mac, the bar is shortened so the magnifying glass appears underneath the bar. I have also noticed on safari, the words "search the blah, blah, blah webpage" appears in the field bar as opposed to on top of it. This doesn't happen on all of the pages...it is random if you will.

Things should be fixed in the CVS tree. If you want to look at thing the latest version of the css and javascript are running on:
http://euler.unl.edu/testing/test.shtml
Things should look fine now, if not let us know and we'll take a look at it.

Ned
Ned W. Hummel
Department of Mathematics
nhummel

Postby Jennifer Snyder » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:41 pm

Thanks for figuring this out. It looks much better!

Jennifer
Jennifer Snyder

Postby beck » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:13 pm

Things still aren't working properly in Firefox.

even at:
http://euler.unl.edu/testing/test.shtml

It starts out fine but once you select the text box to enter your query it goes back to the indented form and pushes the magnifying glass image to the next line.
beck

Postby beck » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

This is simply speculative but could it be that the css (main.css) is doubled up with similar commands.

the style "navlinks" has

#navlinks ul {width:206px;padding:0 15px 0 6px;position:relative;background: url(/ucomm/templatedependents/templatecss/images/nav_shadow.gif) repeat-y 14px 0;}

And yet this is repeated in the "localsearch" style

#local_search{display: list;background: url(/ucomm/templatedependents/templatecss/images/nav_shadow.gif) repeat-y 14px 0;padding:0 0 3 6px;}

is the "localsearch" background definition really needed if its already nested within the "navlink" style?

Again just speculation, not sure if this doubling up would even cause complications.
beck

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:53 pm

#navlinks ul shouldn't have any effect on #local_search, since the search box is not a child of a ul element.

beck, what Firefox version are you using? FF 2.0.x works fine for me, do you have a screenshot of the issue?
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby nhummel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:11 pm

beck, what Firefox version are you using? FF 2.0.x works fine for me, do you have a screenshot of the issue?

And platform as well. I'm guessing windows.

Thanks,
Ned
Ned W. Hummel
nhummel

Postby beck » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:23 pm

It works on my home computer (windows, firefox 2.0.0.3)

It's not working on my work computer (mac OSX, firefox version?? but probably a little dated - I'll update it on Friday and see if that fixes the issue)

Thanks for all the help guys.
beck

Postby beck » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:13 pm

Updating does the trick, sorry for prolonging the unnecessary.
beck

Postby nhummel » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:47 pm

beck wrote:Updating does the trick, sorry for prolonging the unnecessary.

No problem. I was just a bit worried that after the first re-write of the code, we had missed something major.

Ned
Ned W. Hummel
nhummel

Return to Help & Assistance