New computer, Dreamweaver DS3-lost site and layout . . help!

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

New computer, Dreamweaver DS3-lost site and layout . . help!

Postby bdelhay » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:18 pm

I've recently upgraded to a new computer, Dell Optiplex 745, configured differently than my old one of course. Now I try to open my Dreamweaver files (which where working beautifully before) in either version 8 or CS3, and there's no recognition of my site and images that I had placed don't show up. The background of my page is grey. The breadcrumbs, titlegraphic, navigation bar, leftcolinks, and footer do appear.

All my site files are still in the same root folder, but my computer drive is now C. My old computer hard drive was divided into D and E. Is this what's causing the confusion? Do I need to reconfigure my site somehow?

Thanks!

Bo
472-9390
bdelhay

Postby Erin Paseka » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:39 am

If you go into Manage Sites and click the Advanced tab, does the Local Info section show the correct local root folder?
Erin Paseka

Postby bdelhay » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:25 pm

Yes.

Also, when I open a page in Dreamweaver, it says this above my Main Content Area text, "Your browser does not appear to support JavaScript, or you have turned JavaScript off."

Any ideas about what to do?
bdelhay

Postby saltybeagle » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:07 am

We've found two possible solutions to this problem... neither one I'm very happy with... but here's some info.

First of all, Dreamweaver's design view is no substitute for testing in the browser... but, I realize the design view is a useful tool for many people.

Here's the lowdown on Dreamweaver CS3 (9) rendering the UNL templates poorly:
Why doesn't it render correctly anymore? Dreamweaver CS3 uses a newer rendering engine that does not render the CSS :after selector which corrects the layout.

There are two options for fixing this issue:
SOLUTION #1:
Use a design time stylesheet with the following content:

Code: Select all
#container div.clear {width:980px;}
#main_right, #navigation {background:white;}

SOLUTION #2:
Modify the template source code to add in a clearing element below the navigation and maincontent areas.

I would like some CS3 users to try out these options and consider which one would be the best solution. --- Other solutions would be welcome as well!

Here's an image of the issue, thanks to bo for the screenshot:
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby saltybeagle » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:10 am

Also, when I open a page in Dreamweaver, it says this above my Main Content Area text, "Your browser does not appear to support JavaScript, or you have turned JavaScript off."

This can be removed by selecting View>Noscript Content within Dreamweaver.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby wagler » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:54 am

has anyone else had any luck with SOLUTION #1? I haven't tried #2, can you give more instructions for this one?

thanks!
adam
adam
wagler

Postby saltybeagle » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:27 am

Hey Adam,

Last Friday I think we developed a new solution - try updating your templatedependents from ftp://wdn:1869@ucommdev.unl.edu/

Many thanks to Alvin for working through the issues and finding an easier solution for us all.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby wagler » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:05 pm

brett, that seemed to do it! Thanks Alvin!!!

adam
adam
wagler

Return to Help & Assistance