Link to content on a different tab on same page

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

Link to content on a different tab on same page

Postby mmesarch1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:06 pm

HI,
Now that we have the tabs it seems that I can combine content from several pages and put it on separate tabs in the same page. But we had links in the content to that section in the other pages.

How can I have a link on one tab go to the content or at least another tab in the same page. I tried using a pound sign and the other tab name but it did not work.

You can see it at [url]http://snr.unl.edu:9999/aboutus/where/fieldsites/ninemileprairie.asp[url] ( this URL will change on 1/22/2010 and will not have the ":9999" any more)

Any ideas how to create the connection? I also tried an anchor and it did not work.
mmesarch1

Postby smeranda » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:04 pm

You would need to find a way to extend the JavaScript to show the tab that the linked to content is in. In other words, if content section 1 has a link to content section 2, you would need to first hide content 1, and then show content 2.

Perhaps in this context, sub-tabs might be a more appropriate way to display the content? http://www1.unl.edu/wdn/wiki/Tabbed_Content_Areas#Sub-Tabs
Seth Meranda
User Experience Architect
University Communications
(402) 472-8513
seth@unl.edu
smeranda

Postby mmesarch1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:18 pm

OK
Is this something that you guys are working on or something we need to find?

I am not sure I like the sub tab for this page, guess I will have to play with the design.

A related tab question. We wanted to have a numerous tabbed area created from a call to a database because we did not know how many tabs we were going to have. But we see that you can only have two rows of tabs. Is that something that might beable to be changed?
mmesarch1

Postby smeranda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:31 pm

If sub-tabs don't work, then I would suggest you look into developing JS that will provide your desired functionality. If you find something that will work while maintaining flexibility, I encourage you to extend the WDN scripts and commit.

Regarding the rows of tabs - technically you can have as many as you want/need. However, the tabs do not visually wrap well. After a certain threshold the simplicity and value of tabs disappears (not to mention the load required by the massive amounts of content).
Seth Meranda
User Experience Architect
University Communications
(402) 472-8513
seth@unl.edu
smeranda

Return to Help & Assistance