Google Docs vs. Something Better

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

Google Docs vs. Something Better

Postby jsnyder2 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi there!

I just wanted to see if anyone had any preference/problems/thoughts about Google Docs. Since MyRED rolled out last year, the University Health Center lost some functions as far as students wanting to enroll in the UNL Healthy Option Student Plan (ie, student insurance) voluntarily. We set up a sign-up in Google Docs which was then put in MyRED but Registration and Records hated using the Google Docs on their end. Is there anything better out there as we are not certain where we stand on the pecking order for MyRED priorities.

Some things we are looking for in our web document capabilities:
• Security
• Being able to send an e-mail once the registration is received on our end
• The data needs to be able to go into a spread sheet

Right now we are open for any recommendations.

Thanks!
Jennifer Snyder
University Health Center
jsnyder2

Re: Google Docs vs. Something Better

Postby saltybeagle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:26 am

I think using a google doc for collecting non-sensitive information is fine. Using that as a tool seems like a logical solution given no other options.

The ideal solution would be to collect it all through a secure domain using an accessible webform collected to a database on the server side. But sometimes that just over-complicates things. :-)
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Re: Google Docs vs. Something Better

Postby jsnyder2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks for the insight Brett! I always like to keep things on the edge of complicated. I'll let you know if what we end up doing.
jsnyder2

Return to Help & Assistance