CMS URL aliasing not working for a few specific pages

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

CMS URL aliasing not working for a few specific pages

Postby Erin Paseka » Thu May 23, 2013 11:56 am

I have a few specific CMS pages (higher-traffic ones, of course) where my URL aliases get ignored.

Example: My "Graduate Areas of Study" page defaults to http://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/graduate-areas-study but that's goofy so I aliased it as prospective/programs. If another page links to it as prospective/programs, that works and it comes up as prospective/programs. If you click it in the nav shelf (Programs Offered under Prospective) you get the page as "graduate-areas-study". Editing the page, I see that the "Generate automatic URL alias" box is checked. I can uncheck it, see "prospective/programs" still in the text box below it, and click Save, but it remains "graduate-areas-study" with the auto-alias box still/again checked.

Aliasing seems to consistently work fine on hundreds of pages and refuse to uncheck on these 3. Also seems like it used to *sometimes* let me uncheck on these problem pages and now it never does.
- homepage: / or /home vs. /office-graduate-studies
- areas of study: /prospective/programs vs. /graduate-areas-study (but no problem for the prospective section index)
- current student section index: /current vs. /current-graduate-students (but AFAIK no problems on other pages in current)

Any suggestions? Anybody else having this problem?
Erin Paseka

Re: CMS URL aliasing not working for a few specific pages

Postby smeranda2 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 pm

I've had this problem in the past because I've accidentally created two "pages" with the same alias. Naturally, the CMS gets confused.

To resolve, you'll need to delete/modify one of these. (In CMS, Configuration -> URL Aliases).
smeranda2

Re: CMS URL aliasing not working for a few specific pages

Postby Erin Paseka » Thu May 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks! Apparently I didn't have 2 nodes with 1 alias but I did have 1 node with 2 aliases, which also can be remedied via URL Aliases. (The node Edit tab displays 1 alias per node so I hadn't realized that it wasn't just 1-to-1.)

Finally, no more "office-graduate-studies" and "graduate-areas-study"!
Erin Paseka

Return to Help & Assistance