All sorts of problems...

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

All sorts of problems...

Postby mmager1 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:17 am

I am updating the web site for the ITG Computer Labs ( http://www.unl.edu/cmplabs ) and have been running into some difficulties with the templates.

For now, I am using my account on csce.unl.edu as a testing site ( http://csce.unl.edu/~mamager/testit.shtml ). As you can see from the link, not much is going right. What it boils down to is that all but a few of the server side includes are working properly. I have tried following the directions provided to a tee, creating new directories, moving directories around, moving files around, and editting a bunch of the code, but this mess is all I can muster up so far.

I know that I've gotta be missing something here. I've spent way too many hours trying to get this to work, and from the way you guys make it out to be, this is supposed to be a relatively painless process. So, any help you provide would be greatly appreciated!
mmager1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:25 pm

Debugging the Template Pages

Postby Mark@Home » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:16 pm

The first thing I notice in your example page is that the style sheet isn't being picked up. In a world of dot-dot-slashes it can be easy to lose one's place. Try this: See if you can open your stylesheet in your favorite browser. Then, copy the URL out of the address window and try putting that into your page and see if the page then recognizes it.

The other thing that's classic is the "an error occurred while processing this directive" message which comes back when server side includes fail. First thing to check? .shtml for your file extension. You have that, so the other issue is with your test server, probably. Do you know if it's tuned-up for server side includes? For years, on the Frontier server, each new directory had to be specially blessed by the server admin. When this was forgotten, which was often, pages failed with the same messages and now the condition is set "on" by default. But if the off condition is the way most servers are configured by default, then your csce.unl.edu machine may need to be fiddled with for it to recognize the SSI's.
Mark@Home
 

Postby saltybeagle » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:04 am

Well, the CSE has server side includes turned on... but it looks as though you're referencing files that aren't there.
All of your sharedcode references are trying to be included from /sharedcode/ (absolute from the root of the webserver -- which is http://csce.unl.edu/sharedcode/)
This needs to be changed to your directory (as seen from the webserver) on csce... - so /~mamager/sharedcode/

Within dreamweaver you can do an easy sitewide search & replace for
"/sharedcode/
with
"/~mamager/sharedcode/

That should fix the problems referencing your sharedcode files.
The other problems are from creating a local copy of all the unlpub includes. There is a document that details how to use these templates (without frustration) on another server.

http://ucommdev.unl.edu/webdev/community/viewtopic.php?t=31

If you can't set them up that way with help from manager@cse then there are other ways to fix all your problems.
Sitewide search and replace for "/unlpub/ with "/~mamager/unlpub/ OR an easier solution - use some webspace on frontier. I believe we have some space you could use. Let us know if you need help, or are interested in using some webspace.
Brett Bieber
Image
saltybeagle
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: 321 Admin

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:53 pm

Just as a follow-up to this topic....
the cse.unl.edu server now supports the templates.

Thanks to Charles & Scott, and Jodi for getting all of that straightened out.
Brett Bieber
Image
saltybeagle
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: 321 Admin


Return to Help & Assistance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

cron