CMS's of UNL

This forum is for Web Developer Network members who are participating in the effort to implement and deploy an open source content management system at UNL.

CMS's of UNL

Postby deal_vs » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:18 pm

Over time I've heard of many different CMS's being used across campus. Is there any that is being looked at as possibly being a standard on campus?
So far I've heard of Liferay, Drupal, etc.
deal_vs

Postby bbieber2 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:07 pm

well, calling one CMS a 'standard' might imply that it would be supported!

I think we can list quite a few here, and note whether a department might support CMS X. But until & unless a CMS is used centrally or someone offers free support to others - I think we're still in a wild west/every dept for themselves situation.

I also would hesitate to put all our eggs in one basket - so to speak. I like the diversity that is going on out there with regards to CMSes.

We have Liferay, Drupal, Joomla!, Drupal... and a whole slew of other open source applications using the templates out there. Which I think is great... but, there are some others which are not in public repositories for other WDN members to utilize. :-\

The largest obstacle to a centrally supported CMS is centrally supported web-services to run a CMS on -- which is non-existent atm unless you pay a dept for that service --- at which point it <em>is</em> supported in some sense.

Just some of my thoughts regarding the issue.
bbieber2

Postby deal_vs » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:01 am

I think you make some excellent points. I'm just curious as to where we are heading with the cms's. I'm hoping that people will consider doing some presentations at NU IT day about their cms solutions. It'll be great to get to hear first hand about the experiences people are having with various ones.
deal_vs

Return to CMS Implementation