CMS books: what's the advantage?

This forum is for Web Developer Network members who are participating in the effort to implement and deploy an open source content management system at UNL.

CMS books: what's the advantage?

Postby aeno2 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:51 pm

So in the College of Journalism and Mass Communication we are considering moving a considerable amount of our website content into books once we migrate to the CMS, but before doing all that manual labor, I have a question. Is there a significant (or insignificant) advantage to having sections of your website in books? If so, is there an easier way to accomplish it than copy/paste?
aeno2

Re: CMS books: what's the advantage?

Postby Erin Paseka » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:56 pm

I'm replying pretty late but FWIW I'm using book pages for our Graduate Mentoring Handbook: http://www.unl.edu/mentoring

I chose book pages for this because it was originally a print publication and it still seemed appropriate and useful to enable people to read through all its pages sequentially (and more easily than a non-book site would allow). The "standard" right-side book navigation (blue head, grey body, yellow highlight) always seems weird to me so I don't have it in this site, but I have the page sequence set up redundantly in the book structure (visible along the bottom) and the main menu nav (along the top) for the best of both worlds. I probably wouldn't have used book pages if this "book" wasn't its own CMS site.

And yeah: copy, paste... copy, paste... copy, paste... that's my CMS mantra so far.
Erin Paseka

Return to CMS Implementation