UNL Templates Update on July 1st

Discussion related to redesign of UNL templates, under continuous revision ...

UNL Templates Update on July 1st

Postby bbieber2 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:19 pm

A significant UNL Templates upgrade will launch on July 1. Please take the time to contact your server administrator and make sure they've implemented one of the template-mirroring methods outlined in the WDN wiki. If you get stuck and need help, support is available throughout the workday in the WDN Help chatroom.

If your website is on frontier, or you are in the UNLcms, this update will happen automatically.
bbieber2

Re: UNL Templates Update on July 1st

Postby bbieber2 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:37 am

The new templates are now available from the WDN downloads page! Please report any issues you see here.

http://wdn.unl.edu/downloads/

Thanks for everyone's help!
bbieber2

Postby cbrassil2 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:39 pm

I had a problem with Firefox 5.0 (my regular browser) giving a highly compressed and unusable navigation box. I think this occurred because it was pulling old files (like stylesheets) from the cache. Hitting the refresh button fixed it, but it took me a while to figure out the problem. I don't know if there is code that can be added in this transition period to force a cache refresh, but it would avoid this kind of problem as people return to the site with their regular browser.
cbrassil2

Postby bbieber2 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:03 pm

I don't know if there is code that can be added in this transition period to force a cache refresh, but it would avoid this kind of problem as people return to the site with their regular browser.

No. Without modifying the HTML of every web page, we cannot force browsers to refresh code that they have cached locally.

It is odd that we're one month out and people are still running into cache issues. Is there a specific server you were looking at? If we knew the server name we could look into the server configuration. Perhaps that specific server is sending overly aggressive cache headers for the .css and .js files included with the templates.
bbieber2

Return to General Discussion