Responsive Design at the 1024 screen resolution issue

Please post your questions, bug reports and experiences (good or bad) here. UNL.edu Platform v 3.1 is scheduled for delivery on March 13, 2012, and to be fully implemented on April 10, 2012.

UNL.edu 3.1 is not a visual redesign. Rather it is a rearchitecting of the codebase to HTML5 standards and responsive web design. It also adds richer support for accessibility, including ARIA landmarks.

The WDN development team is working on documentation, a previewer and other tools to aid in the transition process. If you'd like to help, please post under the "I'll Help" discussion or in the WDN chat.

Responsive Design at the 1024 screen resolution issue

Postby bspradlin2 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:47 am

Hopefully people are still checking this section of the discussion board. :) We've found an issue with the responsive design template when it's viewed in the 1024-width resolution. We're trying to create a four-column layout with a banner across the top of the first three columns. Somewhat like the UNL homepage. What we're finding is that when it's viewed larger than 1024 it works just fine, with each column on the page getting 25% of the spacing it should. But when I resize the browser window to 1024 (or use a computer with that resolution, as some of our marketing people do), the first three columns get reduced in size as the responsive design code starts to kick in. Is there a way to get that to not resize quite so close to that resolution?

We don't have a version of the page available for others to view right now, as it's still being developed, but I'm actually seeing the same issue on the UNL homepage. The two columns just below the rotating images get pressed to one side slightly at 1024. See the images below. Hopefully this can be resolved? I know 1024 isn't the majority resolution anymore, but it would be nice to still be able to give them the same experience when visiting.

Thanks!
bspradlin2

Re: Responsive Design at the 1024 screen resolution issue

Postby smeranda » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:58 pm

Yeah, unfortunately it's a known issue. Nesting grids doesn't work well. A couple of ideas were tossed around at a WDN meeting in July, but each had problems that prevented further development.
Seth Meranda
User Experience Architect
University Communications
(402) 472-8513
seth@unl.edu
smeranda

Re: Responsive Design at the 1024 screen resolution issue

Postby bspradlin2 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:44 pm

Ok, thanks for the quick reply! We'll play around with some other options to see what we can do then.
bspradlin2

Return to Spring 2012 UNL.edu Platform 3.1 Revision