Logo with momentary blue background.

Discussions of visual designs, content area elements,
interface issues of UNL web templates.

Logo with momentary blue background.

Postby dsockrider » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:28 pm

On PCs running Internet Explorer, which is 78.5% of our viewers, when loading a page, the 'N' logo appears with a blue background, then it disappears.

I understand the reason is because it's a .png...which Explorer doesn't support for whatever reason, but there is a 'hack' in place so that 78.5% of our viewers don't get a blue box behind the 'N' the entire time they're viewing our site.

Is there a reason you have to use a .png when a transparent .gif is supported in every browser? It could also be possible to have the logo blend in with the background by having the same background in the logo graphic itself and saved as a .jpg or .gif.

If we used a .gif we wouldn't have the blue disappearing background and no 'hack' would be required*.
* (The downside of using a transparent .gif....I don't believe we could have the 4 pixel tall red reflection at the bottom. Gif's don't support gradient alpha channels, it's invisible or it isn't.)

Or is there a another reason requiring a .png with disappearing blue background?
dsockrider

Postby saltybeagle » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:42 am

I find it annoying too.... but I find IE more annoying.

Png works well in this situation because the background needs to be blended. If we used an image format without alpha transparency blending it would only look right at the default text size. Right now the text size can be increased and it will still look right.

IE 7 will be pushed out with automatic updates within 3-4 weeks... which will support png properly... I can live with it until IE7 comes out... not sure what the other people think..?
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Ah good

Postby dsockrider » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:03 am

Ah good, Explorer 7 is finally going to support .png. Problem solved!
dsockrider

Return to Design