Coding Group Projects

Discussions pertaining to programming of backend systems and released UNL template code.

Coding Group Projects

Postby saltybeagle » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:34 pm

Alright coding group people... the UNL Calendar system can stand on it's own now without constant updates. With time free from that - we need to move on to some new projects.

Immediate Need:
A system to report website conversion status to the Chancellor - This project basically involves a registration system for the WDN, which will allow a user to register as a member, indicate the sites they manage, mark them as completed or give estimated completion date.

--- Integrate this system into a UNL Web commenting system which will redirect comments to the WDN members responsible for maintaining those sites. Allow WDN members to subscribe to an RSS feed of comments related to their sites. Perhaps integrate the comments into a ticket system (dream big, eh?).

Future Need:
Faculty & Student Directory Improvements
OfficeFinder (Yellow-pages companion to PeopleFinder)
Free CMS

Feel free to propose items to work on as well... I'm happy to work on something that benefits UNL websites as a whole.

I'm proposing a meeting next week to go over the projects. Please post here if you're interested in helping out, and availability next week. The coding group has traditionally met at 3pm on Fridays, and is known to sometimes meet at off-campus barley and hops distribution facilities.

I hope next Friday is ok if people want to meet... but I won't be waiting around until then to start something. I expect these projects to move as fast as possible.

Oh, and we need non-coders too!
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby alvin_woon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:37 pm

cool. i can play the same role as i did in the event system.
alvin_woon
Site Admin

Postby ryanlim » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:04 pm

The coding group meets every Friday at 3pm?
ryanlim

Postby saltybeagle » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:14 pm

The coding group meets every Friday at 3pm?

Not regularly... but that's when we met before.

I'm proposing a get together on October 20th at 3PM in a TBD place.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby cwells » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:23 pm

I am potentially interested...

I'm most definitely on the NON-coding side of things. I do have a wealth of experience in the spec-writing, code-testing and documentation end of things, however.

One drawback is that I am part-time, and I leave at 3:30 to pick up kids from school. Unfortunately, that traditional meeting time (and alternative meeting place :-) is not an option for me.

Carol Wells
Agronomy and Horticulture (that 'other' campus)
cwells

Postby alvin_woon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:34 am

cwells - we can really use some QA here. Glad you can help :).
alvin_woon
Site Admin

Undergraduate/Graduate Bulletins

Postby dsockrider » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:09 pm

I've had several requests to post the undergraduate and graduate course descriptions and offerings in their proper sections of the website. It would be very nice if we could keep the website consistent with the undergraduate bulletin dynamicly. ...I don't want to have to update every department every year manually.
dsockrider

Faculty personal page database

Postby dsockrider » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:14 pm

A Faculty database/content management system would be good. It takes a lot of time to create and update faculty personal pages. It'd be great if all their personal information, (personal description, education, research interests, publications, etc.) could be updated dynamicly. I believe this would encourage more up to date and accurate personal pages.
dsockrider

Return to Coding