Photo gallery

Discussions of visual designs, content area elements,
interface issues of UNL web templates.

Photo gallery

Postby mmesarch1 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:58 am

HI,
Went back and looked through the old board messages and found the stuff about the photo gallery. Has there been any thing more done with this?

Is something we can discuss at the web developers meeting on Tuesday.
mmesarch1

Postby saltybeagle » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:14 pm

I've worked out a theme for the open source web application 'Gallery' which uses the UNL templates.

Gallery Demo in the Templates

The system does have a hefty set of system requirements and may not be the best system in all situations. The theme is available from the CVS repository at http://driftwood.unl.edu/cgi-bin/files/ ... ry2_theme/

Some other alternatives I know of are Slideshow Pro and the hosted solution Flickr.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

dfGallery

Postby beck » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:54 am

There is a free flash gallery put out by Dezinerfolio which looks and acts a lot like slideshowpro. http://www.dezinerfolio.com/2007/06/07/dfgallery/

I've used it on some other, non UNL sites, and it works like a dream. Would it be possible for us to implement its use on our UNL pages where we'd like to use a photo gallery? (i.e. will we still be alright with the style book, etc.)
beck

Postby beck » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:30 am

I've set up the design folio gallery on a testing page - you can insert it into the image boxes without any problems

On the site, it says that php +5 is a requirement for the gallery to work - it is if you want to link to your picasa, flicker, etc. accounts via rss, but not if you're simply adding a "custom album" into the xml file itself.

the testing site is http://stuafs.unl.edu/testing/grad.shtml

Bryan
beck

Postby acoleman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:45 pm

I think that Deziner gallery looks pretty darn nice. Very, very close to SSP.

I don't think there's any problem with implementing this sort of thing on UNL site (I know a lot of people who have been tinkering with SSP). The only concern, of course, is page validity.

Not sure if it's the answer for why your page isn't validating, but you might want to check out this discussion.
acoleman

Postby beck » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:13 am

super sleuth,

Thanks for pointing me to the article - I've cleaned up the code and the page validates just fine now. Works exactly like before in Firefox. I haven't had a chance to try it in IE yet, we'll see how it goes there and if it still works cross browser, then I'll post some specifics for anyone who wants to implement it into their pages.
beck

DezinerFolio Web Gallery

Postby beck » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:01 pm

Everything is up and working cross browser. Here's a temporary location for a description on how to implement it:

http://www.unl.edu/health/testing/gallery/

I think there was discussion about putting documentation on the wiki but this will get you going for now.
beck

Postby acoleman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks again for putting this all together and presenting at the WDN Meeting in December.

I used the same Object encode div tag for a SlideShowPro gallery that I put together and it works like a champ (in terms of validation).
acoleman

"On Top" issue solved

Postby beck » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:00 pm

to keep the flash object from thinking it owns the page and covering other objects (like the drop down, weather/calendar/people finder) add this parameter along with the others

Code: Select all
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

I'll be adding this in as part of the instruction page in a day or two when I get a chance to edit the page.

Bryan
beck

Re: DezinerFolio Web Gallery

Postby nhummel » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:05 pm

beck wrote:Everything is up and working cross browser. Here's a temporary location for a description on how to implement it:

http://www.unl.edu/health/testing/gallery/

I think there was discussion about putting documentation on the wiki but this will get you going for now.

Thanks for writing this up. Worked fine for me (had some issues under linux). Did find one thing that Brett confirmed an "On load" error under IE6

Ned
Ned W. Hummel
Department of Mathematics
nhummel

Postby beck » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:53 am

What issues did you have running it on linux?

When I set everything up I was actually using a linux box, so I had thought it was working fine.

Beck
beck

Postby nhummel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:12 am

What issues did you have running it on linux?
When I set everything up I was actually using a linux box, so I had thought it was working fine.
Beck

Nothing major. The issues I had were related to flash block acting weird. It acted one way on your example and another way on mine.

After starting over, it worked fine.

Thanks,
Ned
Ned W. Hummel
Department of Mathematics
nhummel

Return to Design