Content kit for redesign

Discussion related to redesign of UNL templates, under continuous revision ...

Content kit for redesign

Postby acoleman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:48 pm

We chatted a bit today about basic content elements that every designer will use for their photoshop mockup for the redesign for August of 2009. I thought I'd start a thread to discuss exactly what elements should go in there (specific text and/or graphics aren't a major concern right now, just the pieces themselves).

In going through the style book and the current look of the page, these are the elements that I think will be essential. Feel free to discuss additions or subtractions.

UNL Identity
Global Links
Global Search
Quicklinks
Tab (or other element) for "shelf"
Breadcrumbs
Page Title
Subhead
Subsite Global Links (aka "college navigation")
Site Navigation
Main content text
Main content graphic(s)
Related Links
Footer
Last edited by acoleman on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
acoleman

Postby bbieber2 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:36 am

I'd like to discuss the possibility of removing the 'subhead' - which would move the content closer to the top of the page.

I think including the subhead makes the site more personable to the end users - when used as originally intended, but removing it would bring the content up quite a bit.
bbieber2

Postby acoleman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:23 am

I'd agree with you on the subhead. I think it works as a marketing device (in most cases), but it adds unnecessary height to that area "above the fold" - screen real estate that could be used to convey more valuable information.

The use of subhead in forthcoming designs could simply be optional. If someone comes up with an elegant way to keep it (and everyone agrees on it), then it stays. If the most popular design instead chooses to leave it out, then it will become one of those elements that is deprecated in August of 09.
acoleman

Postby augshow » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:43 pm

How about college navigation, I know we have a need for that at CBA and I think a couple other colleges use it as well.
augshow

Save the SubHead!

Postby MarkHiatt » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:04 am

I think we could keep the subheading, the H2 that appears in the TitleGraphic area of the current page, by just making it smaller, couldn't we?

It's a nice touch on many pages, it does deliver a message and a great many of them are already deployed. At worst, I'd like to see it made optional or something like that.

If vertical space is going to be an issue now, I'd rather see smaller H1 and H2s.

Remember that anyone using College Nav will see no benefit anyway from doing away with the H2.
=MH=
MarkHiatt

Postby acoleman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:57 pm

I somehow missed college navigation when I was doing my original list. Because this is something that some sites use, the new design should certainly figure that in as a design element. I've edited my original post to include it.

Remember that anyone using College Nav will see no benefit anyway from doing away with the H2.

Again, I think that this will completely depend on the design. If the future design is something closer to a refinement, then you're probably correct. If it's more of a redesign, though, I have no idea where those elements will end up and which space they'll occupy in a new look.
acoleman

Postby rcrisler1 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:44 pm

Let's keep separate issues separate. There's a whole discussion related to subheads or any of the content elements that is related to, but not entirely enmeshed with, visual design.

Content and style must be separate in our thinking as well as in our code. The visual design shouldn't dictate any decisions on removing or retaining a piece of content. Sure, the chosen visual style can be influential in the decisionmaking on whether to remove or retain a content element, but design doesn't drive decisions on content. The design will evolve between the day it is chosen and the time it's deployed in August, and some of that evolution will be a result of what discussions we have on modifications to the Style Guide.

As a matter of design, I think that every content element we currently have in the HTML should be accommodated in the 'redesign' candidates. I'd prefer to see any calls for deprecation of a content element be discussed as issues apart from an 'omnibus' design decision.
____

Robert J Crisler
Manager, Internet and Interactive Media
University Communications
321 Canfield Administration Building
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
402-472-9878
rcrisler1
Site Admin

Postby acoleman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:20 pm

In thinking about this last night (in addition to your thoughts Bob), I wonder if we should also include the randompromo as part of the kit, simply because most sites use that item as well.

Obviously it can be a different size / have a different look, but I think it's an element that has become ubiquitous enough that it probably needs to be included.
acoleman

Return to General Discussion