BETA Template Code

Notes on the visual redesign process

BETA Template Code

Postby saltybeagle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:43 pm

Greetings! As promised in the WDN meeting. I have BETA code available for developers that wish to play around with the new templates.

THE BASICS
First the basics - we only have the fixed.dwt file for all you dreamweaver folks. The other templates will follow.

The new directory is wdn/templates_3.0, which will house all the template dependent files. So if you're on another server, you'll need these files available from the root of your webserver.

THE FILES
The UNLTemplates.zip should go in your local site in the Templates directory.
http://wdn.unl.edu/downloads/UNLTemplates.zip

The wdn files should go on your server under /wdn/:
http://wdn.unl.edu/downloads/wdn.zip

Keep in mind these files will need to be updated as we make progress towards coding and fixing bugs!

PREVIEWING YOUR SITE IN THE NEW TEMPLATE
A tool was demo'd which will allow you to preview your site in the new template.
http://ucommbieber.unl.edu/workspace/wd ... w.unl.edu/

Alter the URL which is passed in as the u parameter.

THE BUGS
Please report any issues you have either here, or (preferrably) on the bug tracker for the project - http://its-gforge.unl.edu/gf/project/wd ... ker_id=178
Remember to be good bug reporters and include browser versions, page urls, or screenshots if possible.

Thanks once again to all the developers that helped on the coding group!
    Derek Augustine
    Brian Schupbach
    Ned Hummel
    Seth Meranda
    Matthew Juhl
    Mark Hiatt
    Vishal Singh
    Eric Rasmussen
    Aaron Coleman
    Isaac Beddes
    Krista Naber
Last edited by saltybeagle on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

GForge download problem

Postby Erin Paseka » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:34 am

Just in case anybody else is having the same problem I did:

I was getting "[gibberish].part" instead of "UNLTemplates.zip". Tried a different browser, then a different computer, still only got .part. Turns out all you have to do is rename the .part as a .zip and it'll work fine.

(Now time for me to see what's actually in this file!)
Erin Paseka

Crashes Dreamweaver

Postby dsockrider » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:26 pm

I've downloaded the files, setup a new site, and tried to create an index.shtml file. ...but every time I try to open a new file from the absolute.dwt, it crashes Dreamweaver....
dsockrider

Postby saltybeagle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi David, use the fixed width template. Absolute uses absolute references to the css which causes Dreamweaver to choke.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

New Template questions

Postby dsockrider » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:11 am

Yes, the fixed width works fine.

1. Feeds, Weather, Events, Peoplefinder and Camera icons aren't appearing correctly. I'm just getting words in a list under the 'N'. How might I fix this?
2. How do we create 3rd and 4th level navigation?
3. It doesn't appear that 'contact info' is editable. Can you make that an editable area?
3a. The title that says, "Contacting Us" kind of sounds weird, I think it'd sound better if the title was 'Contact' or 'Contact Us'
4. Where does the feedback ranking go to? Can we view ratings for individual pages?
dsockrider

Postby saltybeagle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:23 am

1. Feeds, Weather, Events, Peoplefinder and Camera icons aren't appearing correctly. I'm just getting words in a list under the 'N'. How might I fix this?

This is still an under-construction area of the templates. Keep updating your wdn files to the latest and you should be able to see improvements. You can also keep track of what's going on by looking at the "Activity" section of the project homepage: http://its-gforge.unl.edu/gf/project/wdntemplates/

2. How do we create 3rd and 4th level navigation?

Subsites will have their own navigation, just like before. We're still working out the details on how to specify which element in the breadcrumb indicates the current site you're viewing - suggestions would be appreciated.

3. It doesn't appear that 'contact info' is editable. Can you make that an editable area?

Certainly, thanks for catching this.

3a. The title that says, "Contacting Us" kind of sounds weird, I think it'd sound better if the title was 'Contact' or 'Contact Us'

This isn't really a coding issue, so I'll leave this for someone else to respond to.

4. Where does the feedback ranking go to? Can we view ratings for individual pages?

That's the idea. This isn't feature-complete yet, but the ratings will be collected in the WDN registry for the sites you're registered for, and registered developers will be able to see the ratings.

Help on the coding would be greatly appreciated.

If you find anything else you think is a bug, it would be great it you could put it in the bug tracker in gforge so that things don't get forgotten. Thanks!
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

More questions

Postby Erin Paseka » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:21 am

1. Does anybody have a beta development site that we can look at as a model for what the template should *currently* be able to do? (When I run into something that looks broken, I have a hard time determining whether it's only broken just on my site because I did something wrong/halfway, broken everywhere because it hasn't been coded yet, broken in my version but fixed in the latest, considered a feature and not a bug, etc.)

2. ...for example, my navigation doesn't expand/collapse. Is that just not coded yet?

3. I've only seen homepage screenshot samples. Beyond the homepage, when I want to display my site title *and* a page title, is there a proposed standard style/placement for the page title?

4. Javascript document.write() doesn't work in the new templates! Is this permanent? What other common JS are we losing?

5. Edit CSS in the Web Developer Firefox add-on doesn't work with the new templates! I make constant use of Edit CSS, but with the new templates it causes the page to display with no CSS, defeating the purpose of the feature. Is this permanent?
Erin Paseka

Postby saltybeagle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:32 am

1. Does anybody have a beta development site that we can look at as a model for what the template should *currently* be able to do? (When I run into something that looks broken, I have a hard time determining whether it's only broken just on my site because I did something wrong/halfway, broken everywhere because it hasn't been coded yet, broken in my version but fixed in the latest, considered a feature and not a bug, etc.)

The WDN site will go live sometime in the next few days, and will be the only site to go live with the new templates before August 17th. http://wdn.unl.edu/

As for bugs or TODO items – if it isn't coded yet, and we know about it, it should be on the TODO list in the project. If you don't see it there, or in the Bug list, I would open a new issue for it.

2. ...for example, my navigation doesn't expand/collapse. Is that just not coded yet?

Please file a bug for any issues you see.

3. I've only seen homepage screenshot samples. Beyond the homepage, when I want to display my site title *and* a page title, is there a proposed standard style/placement for the page title?

I believe this is a stylebook issue. The stylebook meetings start on Jan. 26th. Those interested in participating in that discussion should contact Bob Crisler.

4. Javascript document.write() doesn't work in the new templates! Is this permanent? What other common JS are we losing?

Javascript may be stopping execution for an error earlier on in the page. Double check your page for validation, and any javascript errors, if you still can't solve it - file a bug with the full details.

5. Edit CSS in the Web Developer Firefox add-on doesn't work with the new templates! I make constant use of Edit CSS, but with the new templates it causes the page to display with no CSS, defeating the purpose of the feature. Is this permanent?

This is due to the inability of the Web Developer extension to convert relative paths in the css files to absolute, and is not a problem with the templates per say. The Firebug extension does allow you to edit the css live in this way, I would suggest trying that, or filing a bug with Chris Pederick's extension.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby saltybeagle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:45 am

Oh, and the navigation *should* be working.

See the sample page for a demo, and hopefully it works. :-|

http://ucommbieber.unl.edu/workspace/wd ... g.unl.edu/
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Solution to problems described in previous post

Postby Erin Paseka » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:12 pm

In case anybody else is having any of the buggy issues I described above, earlier today, I have those mostly resolved thanks to Brett:

Deleting <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> from the first line of my page fixed a lot. Now my nav is collapsible, javascript functions are functions again, and my Web Developer/Edit CSS add-on even halfway works.
Erin Paseka

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:49 am

The WDN site is now using the new templates. Check it out at http://wdn.unl.edu/ (my apologies for not finding new stock photos. :-) If someone has some better imagery I'd be glad to update it).

I've also added a downloads page which contains the latest template files:

http://wdn.unl.edu/downloads/

The official downloads will be distributed through the WDN site so go there for the latest files (I will update my posts with the correct links).

I've also added two new templates to the UNLTemplates.zip file for prepopulated column of content. I've added a sharedcode file called sharedColumn.html which will contain some default content which may change including how it will be styled. But, if I could get some users to try out these templates and see if their pages come over correctly, that would be great.

Thanks everyone! And we've had some helpful bug reports come in, so please, if you see anything don't hesitate to let us know.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

header, footers

Postby Kathy8s » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi,
My header is cut off at the top on the fixed template. See: http://www.unl.edu/svcaa/200910/Test%20Site/index3.shtml.
Also, is there a way that I can control the footer information. I'd like to have my "contact us" information in the far right column, but it seems to default to the left column.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Kathy
Kathy8s

Re: header, footers

Postby Kathy8s » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:01 am

Kathy8s wrote: My header is cut off at the top on the fixed template. See: http://www.unl.edu/svcaa/200910/Test%20Site/index3.shtml.

I figured out the answer to my first problem: I had the link to the CSS all file listed twice. Once the second link was removed, the heading looks correct. :) I'm still looking for help in the footers though.
Kathy8s

Postby acoleman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:12 pm

Looks like you're missing a div tag somewhere in the maincontent area.

If you get that in there, it should clear up those errors.
acoleman

Re: header, footers

Postby erasmussen2 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Kathy8s wrote:
Kathy8s wrote: My header is cut off at the top on the fixed template. See: http://www.unl.edu/svcaa/200910/Test%20Site/index3.shtml.

I figured out the answer to my first problem: I had the link to the CSS all file listed twice. Once the second link was removed, the heading looks correct. :) I'm still looking for help in the footers though.

You just need a closing </div> along with the current 2 at the end of your maincontent area. Immediately before the comment that says "InstanceEndEditable" (and after your "Announcements Archives" link)
erasmussen2

Return to Visual Redesign