'N' Logo standard consistency

Notes on the visual redesign process

'N' Logo standard consistency

Postby dsockrider » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:54 pm

We were recently cited for having a circle around the UNL 'N', saying the circle was too close to the N.

...Now the 'N' right above the footer has a circle around it.

Sooooo, can we have a circle around the N or not?

Is the '3d N' available for print also?
dsockrider

Postby saltybeagle » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:26 pm

Well, the guidelines are different for print than for the web. The "Toolbox" has the details on using the university marks in print, and the WDN templates define the standards for web — but the spacing around the N may be something we have to look into.

Here's the web address of the "Toolbox" -
http://ucomm.unl.edu/toolbox.shtml

No, the 3-D N is not permitted for use in print. It is part of the web templates.

See the toolbox for details.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Branding

Postby dsockrider » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:51 am

I find it odd that we have different logos and regulations for different media. Branding ideally should be consistent across all media to reenforce the brand.

When our branding efforts becomes fragmented with different logos and standards, doesn't that reduce branding effectiveness? I don't see the advantage of different logo/branding strategies within University Communications.

...maybe in the Toolbox training they should include web logo standards, it wasn't even mentioned when I took the class despite my job being mostly web. Who ever teaches that should say, "you can't use the logo this way...unless it's web. ...And you can use the 3d logo but just for the website, but not print."

Can the 3d 'N' be used on Powerpoints? It's not print...

The 3D 'N' has been turning up on print pieces and I doubt they even know they were breaking any rules. To many people, if they see the UNL logo online, they assume they can use it in print since it represents UNL. These rules should be documented for toolbox training.
dsockrider

Return to Visual Redesign