Request for info on Feedback in footer

Notes on the visual redesign process

Request for info on Feedback in footer

Postby Erin Paseka » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Would somebody please describe the plan for the "Your Feedback" 5-star rankings in the footer? Where does the data go? How, when, & by whom is it used? How do webmasters view/retrieve their sites' feedback?

Is this item mandatory? I'm wondering whether a single character of feedback will be descriptive enough to be useful. If somebody gives a page 1 star, we don't know whether it's because he couldn't find what he wanted, he didn't like our colors & styles, the page rendered badly in his Netscape 1.0 or bleeding-edge cell phone browser, we denied his application for admission, the page mentioned giving an award to a professor who happened to give him a bad grade, etc.
Erin Paseka

Postby rcrisler1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:05 pm

The feedback system is still being developed, but the idea is to offer users a better opportunity than the current "comments" link in a place where they can reliably find it. There will be a text field; that just isn't done yet ... the messages will be distributed through the WDN Registry infrastructure.

More to come.
____

Robert J Crisler
Manager, Internet and Interactive Media
University Communications
321 Canfield Administration Building
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
402-472-9878
rcrisler1
Site Admin

Postby soni » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:45 am

Is there anyway we can customize this area of the footer - Comments area?

I could see value in customizing the comments area for our site so we can actually use the feedback in reporting. Really don't see any value to the star ranking other than giving people something to click on.

I had someone today ask who was getting the comments. Any update on that?
soni

Postby acoleman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:21 pm

soni, the feedback is set up to deliver the comments to whomever the site is registered to in the WDN Registry.
acoleman

Postby soni » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:46 pm

Thanks so much. I'm registering our web site now.

Feels a bit overwhelming with thousands of pages to go through (again) to get this done. :wink:
soni

Postby Erin Paseka » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:30 pm

I was wondering about this so I did 2 test Feedback submissions from one of my sites.

Clicking Submit appeared to trigger 2 things:
1. An email to me from "unlwdn", providing the text of the comment, the page from which it was submitted, and the submitter's IP & browser info.
2. That same info now appears in the WDN Registry, via My Sites and the number link under Comments, but only for the comment submitted from the homepage.

It was quick & easy, but a couple things seem odd to me:
- The star rating doesn't show up in the email or the registry.
- Only comments from the homepage go to the registry. (?)
- There's no "log out" link in the registry anymore.

Are these bugs or "features"?
Erin Paseka

Postby saltybeagle » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:01 pm

It was quick & easy, but a couple things seem odd to me:
- The star rating doesn't show up in the email or the registry.
- Only comments from the homepage go to the registry. (?)
- There's no "log out" link in the registry anymore.

Are these bugs or "features"?

Why features of course. Feel free to join the WDN coding project and add your own features. :D

http://its-gforge.unl.edu/gf/project/unl_wdn/
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby Erin Paseka » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:41 pm

Sure, at the rate this PeopleSoft 500-ton-gorilla project is going, I should have some discretionary time to spend on interesting web dev projects sometime around 2012. Maybe I'll get to help with the '12 templates! ;)
Erin Paseka

Postby Erin Paseka » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:56 am

Another little bug: Submitting feedback gives the user no indication that it's been submitted, which gives the appearance of brokenness and encourages obsessive resubmission.

My main site had been live in the templates for only 2 hours when I got a series of 24 comments from the same IP in a span of 2 minutes: the first 23 were identical, the last was "This feature doesn't work with chrome".

I tried it myself in Chrome and Firefox and got the same behavior: it does submit, it just makes the user think nothing happened.
Erin Paseka

Postby smeranda » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks Erin, this has been fixed to bring back the feedback.
Seth Meranda
User Experience Architect
(402) 472-8513
seth@unl.edu
smeranda

Postby Erin Paseka » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:53 pm

That was fast! Thanks, Seth.
Erin Paseka

Where do ratings and comments go?

Postby dsockrider » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:02 pm

I've submitted some test ratings and comments, and when I visited the registry, I don't see where ratings and comments go.

Am I missing something?
dsockrider

Postby smeranda » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:13 pm

Comments are sent to your email as long as you are registered as the owner of that site in the WDN registry.

The star rating doesn't have an interface built for the data. You can join the project to help with it at: http://its-gforge.unl.edu/gf/project/wdncomments/
Seth Meranda
User Experience Architect
(402) 472-8513
seth@unl.edu
smeranda

?

Postby dsockrider » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:45 pm

I thought the stars are the interface. For the comments, why isn't there a field for an email reply? If there's a problem on a page and they enter comments in the comment field, I'd appreciate being able to help them by replying with an answer or other helpful info.

Strictly anonymous comments and rating systems with results that can't be collected aren't beneficial to our website. I entered comments and ratings into my test site which has been registered to me for at least 3 years and I didn't receive the comment.

Like Erin, I'm way too busy to contribute any time to coding projects. For some reason I would think that anything in the live template would be fully functional or don't have it live.
dsockrider

Postby saltybeagle » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:58 pm

I entered comments and ratings into my test site which has been registered to me for at least 3 years and I didn't receive the comment.

Hmm, does the site appear in your list of registered sites?
http://www1.unl.edu/wdn/?view=sites

If not, then the site is not registered to you.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Next

Return to Visual Redesign