Valid CSS

Notes on the visual redesign process

Valid CSS

Postby dsockrider » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:38 pm

Are we required to have valid CSS code? I've noticed it varies depending on what browser/version the user has. If it's not required why do we have the CSS link at the bottom of all pages?

unl.edu has 12 errors in 'all.css', while engineering.unl.edu only has 4 errors in 'all.css'

How can we ever get valid CSS if we're not supposed to modify the 'all.css' file?
dsockrider

Re: Valid CSS

Postby cbourke3 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:39 pm

dsockrider wrote:Are we required to have valid CSS code? I've noticed it varies depending on what browser/version the user has. If it's not required why do we have the CSS link at the bottom of all pages?

unl.edu has 12 errors in 'all.css', while engineering.unl.edu only has 4 errors in 'all.css'

How can we ever get valid CSS if we're not supposed to modify the 'all.css' file?

I don't see how anyone can *require* anyone else to have "valid css" code since there really isn't such a thing; there are standards (CSS1, CSS3) that are always changing and only supported at various levels by various browsers with various versions. There are also browser specific elements (-moz-border-radius, -webkit-border-radius), etc. If it works (or at least doesn't cause any problems), then it should be considered valid.

As for the specific problems you mention: the CSS violations are either a mis-ordering of the properties for the background (easily fixed, but it seems like its for experimental elements such as zenbox2, so its not really a problem), or its the browser specific elements like -moz-border-radius. Of course these things won't pass any strict CSS3 validation, but they're valid in most browsers (Chrome/Safari, FF, etc) and the only browser they're not good (IE of course) it won't cause any problems.

True, you can't (and shouldn't) modify all.css; its a minified version of all css files; but you can submit corrections to the original css files via the SVN if it really bothers you, but ultimately I wouldn't worry about it.
cbourke3

Postby bbieber2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:54 am

The UNL templates should validate against the version 3 profile of the Jigsaw W3C CSS Validator.

If the templates don't validate either (x)html or css, something invalid must have been accidentally contributed by a member of the WDN, and someone will have to clean it up.

I see two things to take note of here:
    1. Something invalid must have been contributed.
    2. Your templates aren't being synchronized correctly, otherwise your site would report the same number of errors.

I'll remove the invalid CSS, and if you could get your templates synchronizing correctly you should receive the fix automatically.
bbieber2

updated CSS?

Postby dsockrider » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:19 pm

I just download thee latest WDN files from: http://wdn.unl.edu/downloads/

I updated 'all.css'

still get 4 errors.

The date all.css was last modified was Dec. 10, 2009.

Have the downloads not been updated?
dsockrider

Postby bbieber2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:16 pm

The date is correct. The .zip is not updated as frequently due to the sheer number of improvements.

Synchronizing the templates is the best way to get all the updates between the major updates to the .zip.

Otherwise, you can wait until the .zip is updated.
bbieber2

Return to Visual Redesign