enlarge/reduce font size on unl websites

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

enlarge/reduce font size on unl websites

Postby akias » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:53 pm

My director has seen that some sites include the ability to enlarge/reduce websites by clicking directly on the page being viewed. I know that you can go to View features to change font size. I would like to know what, if any, decisions have been made regarding this capability. I am not advocating for it to be made, but since my director is the director of Services for Students with Disabilities, she might in the future. I read a previous post about a high school student with a visual impairment having problems because of layout changes when fonts are resized, but I am looking more for a response as to whether, other than for design or redundancy, our websites do not have an overt capability to increase/decrease font sizes.
Thank you for helping me research this topic.
akias

Re: enlarge/reduce font size on unl websites

Postby kabel2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:56 pm

This sort of capability IS built into the browser and that is what persons with disabilities should be used to using to view a website larger. Adding UI elements to a page to increase the font-size requires the users to find them every time they need to use them and it would obviously be different for every site.

Of course this could be accomplished with some javascript work, but it is NOT supported by the current WDN Templates. I believe the style-book has wording in it to prevent the "base" font-size used throughout the templates to be modified.
kabel2

Re: enlarge/reduce font size on unl websites

Postby akias » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks for the reply. I just needed an "official" answer to pass along regarding the university's POV.
akias

Return to Help & Assistance