UNL global search URL reindexing

A place to ask questions and get help. Be the first on your block to post ...

UNL global search URL reindexing

Postby bspradlin2 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Hello,

Our department has just re-launched our primary website, consolidating a number of old URLs into a single one. My question is, how do we get on a list to have our site re-indexed for the UNL global search at the top of all UNL templates? I'm signed up in the UNL WDN Registry with the URL as one of "My Sites", but I don't see anywhere to request something like that. The link to the Validity tester will open a page with "0%" on the screen, but none of the links seem to properly validate our site.

Also a complication in the process, we removed some of our old URLs and just have them redirecting to our primary site. So, we need to scrub out any references to four of the old URLs and have it just re-index the new one.

Any help on where we should send this request, or what process is available to do this?

Thank you,

Brian Spradlin
EE&O - online.unl.edu
bspradlin2

Re: UNL global search URL reindexing

Postby kabel2 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi Brian,

The search box included in the templates relies on Google indexing. There is nothing you can do to force Google to "re-crawl" your site, however, I do think they may have some kind of form you can fill out to request that. See http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl

Google typically crawls the unl.edu domain weekly (if not more often), so that should resolve most issues.

The WDN registry is simply a tool to help facilitate QA and to provide contact information for the many different UNL site maintainers.
kabel2

Return to Help & Assistance