CMS barriers/sacrifices

This forum is for Web Developer Network members who are participating in the effort to implement and deploy an open source content management system at UNL.

CMS barriers/sacrifices

Postby Erin Paseka » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:46 am

Looking at moving to the CMS, I'm seeing significant sacrifices, loss of features and abilities we've used in the frontier/Dreamweaver era. Or maybe they're not lost, and I just don't know where to look.

Are any of the following available in the CMS now or expected to become available by June?

1. Sitewide find (with or without replace). Essential, for example when the name of a program/department/coworker/file is changed, a frequently-used URL changes, or an employee leaves. (Google is not a realistic substitute.)

2. HTML editing conveniences like indentation, color coding, automatic closing of tags, typeahead/suggestion. I know people wanted the CMS to get us away from editing HTML directly, but there are still plenty of things that require it, even WDN-built/approved things like tabs and (unless you're starting with a blank page) grid layouts. If I copy HTML from the CMS to Dreamweaver, edit it, and copy it back, that gets silly in a hurry.

3. Warnings when moving/renaming a file, identifying pages with links that would be affected/broken by the change.

4. Ability to upload more than one file at a time. E.g., you had an event, you want to upload 10+ photos, you don't want the carpal tunnel experience of repeating the same series of clicks for each one.

5. Ability to drop in html files generated by another source/server, individually or en masse. I realize I'm probably a minority in wanting this particular ability. I have around 60 standardized grad program profile pages. Their data is maintained elsewhere, in a database, with layout separate, and the editing process spits out shtml files which I upload to frontier. On the CMS, I'd have to copy/paste that content into the HTML of each document, which is tolerable for 1 or 2 but not for all 60 when we make a layout change.
Erin Paseka

Re: CMS barriers/sacrifices

Postby Erin Paseka » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:21 pm

6. Ability to have (sub)templates for sets of tabs or pages with the same specialized layout and similar (and even partially repeating) content. E.g., summer research programs: http://www.unl.edu/summerprogram/resear ... #bioenergy

7. Ability (with SSIs) to create a block of content and have it appear on multiple pages, not necessarily in the same page position.
Erin Paseka

Return to CMS Implementation