December 2005

Minutes from the Monthly Tues at 2:00 PM meetings in the Nebraska Union, and comments related to items discussed during the meetings.

December 2005

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:44 am

Minutes from the December 13th Meeting in Arch Hall:

Bob Crisler gave an overview of the two committees involved in the 'Next Generation' of the UNL Website:
The Next Generation Committe and the Redevelopment Group.
The Committee will establish recommendations for infrastructure and guidance for the overall organization of the web at UNL.
The Committee is chaired by Brian Moore.

The Redevelopment group will develop the designs and code to be used for the re-designed website and next iteration of the UNL Templates.
The redevelopment group consists of a subgroup of the Web Developers Network, and will work in conjunction with all the members of the WDN.

Bob introduced a new tool for the WDN. A wiki for storing collaborative documention on the UNL Templates.
http://ucommdev.unl.edu/webdev/wiki/

Aaron Coleman demonstrated an easy way to add background images to jazz up your content.
Samples of the technique:
http://ucommdev.unl.edu/tester/
http://irp.unl.edu/factbook/factbook_index.shtml

Aaron has put together a snippets page demonstrating how to add it to your page: Coming soon.

Brett Bieber demonstrated a new tool to help convert Template pages from the old table-based templates to the new templates. This tool will be coming soon, and should help tremendously when converting an old table-based site to the CSS-Based Dreamweaver templates.

The Frontier Log Statistics have been updated to allow viewing past months of statistics. Available here:
http://ucommbieber.unl.edu/log_stats/

If your web pages reside on frontier/cwis/www.unl.edu (even virtual hosts), we can give you detailed statistics for your site. Just post here or send Brett Bieber an email or IM.

Update on sIFR inclusion into the templates: Uhh. Soon.
Last edited by saltybeagle on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Stats for www.unl.edu/art

Postby caggens » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:29 am

Hi Brett,

I would be interested in detailed stats for www.unl.edu/art

Thanks!
caggens

Postby saltybeagle » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:17 pm

Stats for art have been added.
You can access them here: http://ucommbieber.unl.edu/log_stats/
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Thanks / CSS validator?

Postby caggens » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:16 am

Thank you Brett!

Also, I just put our template based webpage on Frontier yesterday afternoon. You probably know that our previous webpage looked like the template, but didn't actually use the template. Those files have now been been replaced. If you have time to check it out I would be interested in any feedback you may have.

I validated every page using the w3 html validator. I noticed that there is also a css validator. I ran it on one of my pages and it found what must have been 100 errors. It looked like many of the errors weren't in the editable parts of the page. Can I assume that I don't need to worry about passing the css validation? I hope so.

-Christy
caggens

Postby saltybeagle » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:35 pm

Hey Christy,

Looks pretty good... on your main index page you might consider using the 'splash' template, which might suit the large image better. Or, add this to the editable portion of the <head> of your document to remove the padding around the big image... and get it closer to the borderless image you had before.
<style type="text/css">
#maincontent {padding:0 11px 0 0;}
</style>

Don't worry about the css errors in outside the editable portions of your pages. We've known that the css has some validation errors in it, but those are an unfortunate side-effect of (mainly IE's) incorrect CSS implementation.
The html validation is the most important part for accessibility, so that's our primary concern... but if anyone can suggest specific fixes to the CSS I'd be glad to add them in.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

padding

Postby caggens » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:46 pm

Thanks for the tip. I agree with you about the picture.

I placed the code inside the editable <head> portion of the document, but I didn't notice any change in the appearance of the page. It is the left margin of the picture that needs to change. I previously cropped the images so that they wouldn't bleed outside the page area on the right.
caggens

Postby saltybeagle » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:57 pm

Aha...

There's an editable region below the rest of the stylesheets where that css should go.

The upper region is just for the <title> element... but below that there is a section named 'head':
<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" -->

The css changes should work if you place them in there, just after the </script> tag would be fine.
What we're doing is basically overriding the padding declaration in the file default.css - so it must be placed after the inclusion of the default.css file.
Brett Bieber
saltybeagle

Postby caggens » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:11 pm

Much better!

Now I just have to change back to my old image files so that they are full size.

Thanks
caggens

Tricks with mod include

Postby dsockrider » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:48 pm

Thanks, for the tip on 'Tricks with mod include'

This is going to be very useful on news/upcoming events pages.
dsockrider

Return to Meeting Minutes